OceanSide church of Christ
|Previous||Return to Sermons||Next|
DEEPLY CONCERNING THOUGHTS ABOUT THE LOST
Victor M. Eskew
A. We use the term “lost” quite a bit to refer to those who need to be saved by the blood of Jesus.
B. The Bible does not use the term very often.
1. Jesus spoke of “the lost sheep of the house of Israel” (Matt. 10:6, 15:24).
2. He said the He was “come to seek and save that which was lost” (Matt. 18:11; Luke 19:10).
3. In the Parable of the Prodigal Son, the prodigal is describe as having been lost, but was found (Luke 15:24, 32).
4. Then there is only one other verse that specifically uses the word “lost” in the New Testament (II Cor. 4:3).
But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost.
C. In this lesson, we want to discuss the lost.
1. This will be our last lesson connected to our 2020 Theme at OceanSide: “We Will Go…I Will Go!”
2. The title of our lesson is: “Deeply Concerning Thoughts about the Lost.”
I. THE LOST ARE LOST IN SIN
A. Sin stands in opposition to God’s holy Word. It is the transgression of the law (I John 3:4).
Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
B. Only Christians have been washed in the blood of the Lamb to be cleansed of sins (Rev. 1:5; Rev. 7:14).
…Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood.
C. All others are still in their sins.
1. Ecclesiastes 7:20
For there is not a just man upon the earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not.
2. Galatians 3:22
But the scripture hath concluded all under sin…
II. THE LOST ARE ALIENATED FROM GOD
A. To be lost in sin means that a person is alienated from God.
1. Proverbs 15:29
The Lord is far from the wicked…
2. Isaiah 59:2
But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.
3. Colossians 1:21
And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works…
B. When a person is alienated from God, he is alienated from all that is good and holy and honest, and meaningful.
1. The prodigal son left his home and went into a far country to spend his substance on riotous living (Luke 15:13). He was separated from his father.
2. Note his words when he came to himself as he ate with the swine (Luke 15:17).
And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father’s have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!
III. MANY OF THE LOST DO NOT KNOW THEY ARE LOST
A. To know you are lost, you must be informed about it.
1. This concept has not been considered by some Christians because they grew up knowing they were lost.
2. Their homes were Christian homes.
a. Their parents taught them about spiritual things.
b. They heard messages from God’s word in Bible class and worship.
3. Most in our world have not had much access to the content of God’s Word.
B. In addition, Satan has deceived many in the world into thinking they are saved through systems devised by men.
1. II Corinthians 4:3-4
But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: in whom he god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
2. Ephesians 4:18
Having their understanding darkened, being aliened from the life of God through ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart.
C. Example: The Jews of Jesus’ day (John 8:33-34)
They answered him, We be Abraham’s seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free? Jesus answered them, Verily, verily I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.
IV. SOME OF THE LOST DO NOT CARE IF THEY ARE LOST
A. There are some lost people who know about God, Jesus Christ, the blood of Christ, and salvation. Still yet, they are not concerned about being lost.
B. These individuals should be deeply concerned, but they have hardened their hearts and have no feelings about being lost.
C. Two examples in Acts.
1. Felix (Acts 24:25-26)
And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come, Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee. He hoped also that money should have been given him of Paul, that he might loose him: wherefore he sent for him the oftener, and communed with him.
a. Notice Felix trembled after hearing Paul’s words.
b. Go thy way for this time.
c. He sent for Paul often and communed with him. What do you think Paul spoke to Felix about?
d. He only hoped he would be given money in order to release Paul.
2. Agrippa (Act 26:27-28)
King Agrippa, believest thou the prophets? I know that thou believest. Then Agrippa said unto Paul, almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian.
a. Almost but lost.
b. Almost, but we are not informed that he ever obeyed the gospel.
V. SOULS WILL DIE LOST
A. Every human being ultimately dies and passes from this life. (Heb. 9:27).
B. There will be many who will die lost. The rich man did (Luke 16:22b-24).
…the rich man also died and was buried; and in hell he lifted up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
1. At the point of death, how one lived on earth becomes extremely significant.
2. At the point of death, one cannot go back and change how he lived here.
3. If a person dies in a lost condition, he will suffer the fate of the rich man.
C. I was thinking about the fate of the two thieves who were crucified on either side of Jesus at Calvary.
1. One repented. Jesus told him: “To day thou shalt be with me in paradise” (Luke 23:43).
2. The other died in a lost condition. When he entered torment in the hadean realm, did he see the other thief in a state of comfort in Abraham’s bosom? Can you imagine the added pain if he did?
VI. SOULS WILL GO TO THE JUGDMENT LOST
A. The Bible teaches that there is coming a Judgment Day (Rom. 2:16).
B. The lost will appear before God in a lost condition.
1. Remember, there are some who knew they were lost, but refused to do anything about it. Jesus will have words for them (Matt. 25:41).
Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels.
2. There are others who have been deceived into thinking they are saved, but they are lost. This is the conversation some of them might have with Jesus at that time (Matt. 7:22-23).
Many will say unto me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name have done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
C. The words of Jesus to the lost are sad and heart-breaking. They are words of condemnation.
VII. SOULS WILL SPEND ETERNITY LOST
A. The only thing that comes after judgment is eternity.
B. The souls that die lost, and go to the judgment lost, will also spend eternity in a lost condition (Matt. 25:46).
And these shall go away into everlasting punishment…
a. Strong (166): perpetual :- eternal, for ever, everlasting
b. Thayer: without end, never to cease, everlasting
c. Vine: eternal
2. II Thessalonians 1:8-9
In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power.
A. In this lesson, we have looked at seven deeply concerning statements about the lost.
1. The lost are lost in sin.
2. The last are separated from God.
3. Many of the lost do not know they are lost.
4. Some of the lost do not care if they are lost.
5. Souls will die lost.
6. Souls will go to the judgment lost.
7. Souls will spend eternity lost.
B. By taking the gospel to the lost, we can change some of these things for the lost. Instead of dying lost, they can die in a saved condition (Mark 16:15-16).
And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
1. Let’s take the gospel to the lost.
2. Let’s give them the chance to
a. To know that they are presently in a lost state
b. Be free from sin
c. To have fellowship with God
d. To die saved
e. To go to the judgment saved
f. To spend eternity in a saved condition